Tuesday, July 26, 2016

My Homeland


By Der Kosmonaut
26 July 2016
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia Canada

The past two months here in The Maritimes has underscored why I detest the West Coast. Everything about The Maritimes makes me feel comfortable. I can relate to the history, the mentality, the sense of humor, the people. The Northeast of North America from Maryland and Newfoundland is a completely different country from the rest of North America. This is the oldest and original part of European and African North America. This is home.
Years before I even ventured to the West, I always suspected it to be foreign and hostile territory. 19 months of my life out West confirmed that. I really had no business out West. There's nothing for me in the West. Save for Seattle (which is actually a combination of Boston and Halifax and the only East Coast city in the West), I was thoroughly unimpressed for the West Coast. It's not an accident that I didn't make one friend on the West Coast (apart from a fellow intellectual Manhattanite in Seattle), yet I've made many friends already in The Maritimes.
It's resolved. I will never step foot West of Ottawa ever again. The Atlantic Northeast is my country. The boundaries are set with Washington, DC to the south. Newfoundland and Labrador to the North. The Atlantic to the East and Ottawa to the West. This is my homeland. The rest is a separate country and foreign culture.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home